Monday, April 14, 2008

Babbling about Brooks

Back now after a few days on the road. Thanks to Chops for putting up a couple of great posts in my absence. I see no reason to rescind his posting rights. I hope he'll continue contributing.

While I was traveling I was able to pop into the Brooks on the south side of Denver. It is not Denver's nicest Brooks, which is the new one at Cherry Creek. And it will soon be replaced by a Country Club concept store nearby. But it was on my way and the corporate discount days were on so we pulled over.

I've been thinking about ways that I can spend less on trousers and do my part to bring on the economic downturn (I'm actually not that cynical, it's the bank's fault for shutting down my HELOC). Given the time of year, it is tropical trousers that are on my mind. The Brooks tropicals are offered at a twofer price which can be very attractive after 25% off. I've hesitated in the past because I've been stuck on the idea of cuffed plain front trousers, a concept that Brooks doesn't seem to go in for. I was in the shop looking over the tropical trousers and noticed that all the tropicals had about 3 inches of extra fabric on the inside of the hem. I told the very pleasant sales lady that I wanted to buy a couple of pairs 2 inches too long and have the bottoms turned up 1 3/4 inches for cuffs. She said no problem and got the onsite seamstress to stitch the cuffs while I waited. All done in 10 minutes. So I ended up with 2 pair of tropical wool trousers the way I like them for about $110 each.

While waiting and looking around I noticed that they had some nice looking non-iron shirts out. I haven't bought any of the Brooks non-irons in about 4 years but these were tempting. I particularly liked the bold blue/black tattersall and a point collar pencil stripe. The non-iron fabric get knocked hard on the MBs and I've stayed away from it, but this fabric had a nice feel. If I hadn't recently been on a shirt buying spree I probably would have bought.

Brooks greatest strength is that they make it so easy. Stores are never far away, the catalogs are nice, the website is logical, sales are frequent, and they keep sending me $20 gift cards. Some people are turned off because they try to appeal to a broader population, but that's how a big company stays in business. Still, it's not that hard to find something I like.

7 comments:

Patrick said...

The Brooks non-irons have steadily improved in the four or five years I've been buying them. The fabric is as soft as any standard shirt, in my opinion.

It wasn't always this way. I had a few that were eventually packed off in the Goodwill box. They had a weird, plasticky feel.

But they seem to have figured it out.
Brooks non-iron point collars in white and blue are my default shirts for use with dark suits.

I don't like the fabric for button-down collars. BDs need to be rumpled.

longwing said...

pl,
The last time I bought these they were still in average sleeve lengths which didn't work for me at all. They seem to have all sizes now.
lw

Chops said...

Hey, don't mention it. Truth be told it was fun, though I am slightly embarrassed by my composition skills. And if my guests ever decide to leave I'll take you up on another entry or two.



Maybe I should pay closer attention, but I'm not certain if I even own any non-iron shirtings. My favorite pajamas (white with light blue stripes and navy piping) are from Brooks Brothers and judging from their ever dignified early morning showings (always wrinkle free even in the face of fitful sleep brought on by nightcap overindulgence) must be cooked. I like 'em a lot and some mornings after a quick swish and spit I am able to convice my wife of how majestic they make me look.

Chopin Woodersly


ps what colors did you decide for slacks?

longwing said...

Chopsie,

Normally I would have gone for the charcoal and mid-gray but they were out of charcoal in my size so I opted for a tan. In the past, I've preferred tan wool trousers to have some sort of diagonal weave like a gab or cavalry twill, but I've decided that I'm no longer interested in clothes so I bought what was there.

Can a man stop caring about clothes and still be trad? I'm going to find out.

lw

Chops said...

I would appreciate an entry on the Consumption-wary Trad, a product of...

Chops said...

^ I see that was already in the works. (Armchair Econ)

Despair, remember, is a cardinal sin.

longwing said...

despair as in hopelessness?

for this, my friend, there are many fine medications.