Thursday, April 24, 2008

Trad Lifestyle Blogging - The Arizona Biltmore


Is there such a thing as southwestern trad? Probably not. But there are places that trads go when in the southwest. Although you will often hear people say that they are off to Scottsdale, a trad will more likely say that he is off to Phoenix because that is where they keep The Arizona Biltmore. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and opened in 1929, the Biltmore is the granddaddy of Arizona resorts. It's been around since Scottsdale was a one tumbleweed town.


There are plenty of newer and glitzier properties in the area, but it's hard to imagine one with more class. I wouldn't really know because I've never been tempted to go anywhere else. Well, I've been many places in the area, but this is the only "luxury" resort. Why stray?


In a couple of months the tempuratures will be rising, the misters will be pumping and the room rates will be falling. That is the time of year you are most likely to find the family of longwing at the Biltmore. I'm not sure it's the best way though. Sure they give you a nice discount on the room when it's 110 degrees, but do you think they discount the eggs benedict or the burger by the pool or the filet mignon? No. The Corona or the margarita or the Chabis? No. The massage or the yoga class or the body wrap? No way.


By the time I check out I've realized that for just a few dollars more (relatively speaking) we could have gone when the weather was nicer and the people were more beautiful. Ah, but such is the life.......


Trad Weekend Plans: not much. It is the weekend of my annual roller coaster ride. Thrilling stuff for longwing. A half star trad weekend.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely hotel! AZ is pretty cool, but I've only been to Sedona. I don't think it's trad-friendly, unless you're hippie-trad.

Anonymous said...

The Biltmore looks fabulous. I've been to The Boulders, a surreal place in the eyes of this Easterner, with plenty of golfers but no trads in sight. Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Anonymous said...

Longwing, thank you for the photographs, I'm enjoying your new camera. You might consider a picnic next weekend to up your trad star rating.

Partial menu could include;
A joint of cold roast beef, a joint of cold boiled beef, 2 ribs of
lamb, 2 shoulders of lamb, 4 roast fowls, 2 roast ducks, 1 ham, 1
tongue, 2 veal-and-ham pies, 2 pigeon pies, 6 medium-sized lobsters, 1
piece of collared calf's head, 18 lettuces, 6 baskets of salad, 6
cucumbers.

let me know if I can be of further assistance.

JES

longwing said...

applev, I love sedona. I spent a couple of years in N. Arizona a long time ago.

Tuck, I didn't stay at the hotel. My boss has a place nearby so I took a stroll.