Saturday, April 12, 2008

Gotta Start Somewhere

I confess to having spent too many hours reading the varied postings regarding trad on Ask Andy, Style Forum and even Flip Noir. And while I haven't read enough to know who's serious and who's in it for laughs, most seem to share a love of traditional clothing and more importantly a love for what the clothing represent.

The poor "Trads". They have to be the most criticized minority on all the web for their apparent desire to come off looking moneyed, old money in particular. I say, 'what's the big whoop'? If you are able to weed out the all to frequent lampooning interloper's ruse you could do a lot worse than to heed the advice of the self professed trad. His style isn't a vulgar one and through it the outermost reaches of cultivation are sure to be effected. More power to 'em! No doubt a societal moral reclamation will follow or so rests my hope.

I'm not moneyed, old or new, but I admittedly do alright. My wife's late uncle, now he was rich (timber). When he died he didn't leave us a house in Maine or on the Outer Banks, but he was generous to us and a lot of other people, both in life and in death. Which brings me round to Mr. Smith his personal assistant and now our houseman or house manager or whatever you want to refer to him as. We just call him Mr. Smith. He lives with us now and takes care of most things, not the least of which molding our lives into the practice of virtue. But I confess it all started with clothes, trad clothes, as seen on AAAT for the most part. Gotta start somewhere.






with special thanks to The Long-Suffering Trad for entrusting me with the reins, and trads everywhere sufffering the slings and arrows of the enemy,


Chops

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect there's another group at the AATF: people with plenty of money who really hate spending it. Good post, Chops.

tintin said...

Chops, you're the tops. Keep up the good work.