Saturday, April 26, 2008

Go To Hell

Not you, the pants.
You guys may have already noticed that longwing has a rather underdeveloped sense of style where pants are concerned.  And some of you may assume that I fall into the camp of those who sneer at the GTH aspect of the trad.  But this is not totally true.
It is true that critter pants, or any type of embroidered pants are a mystery to longwing.  However, I must confess to having a growing admiration for vwguy due to his collection of brightly colored poplin trousers.  Sometimes I imagine myself having a social life, living large with the prep set for no other reason than to have an excuse to buy some pants like vwguy's.  Particularly the kelly green and christmas red ones.  And once I got used to those I'd probably need to get them in corduroy also.
Last summer I did some experimenting.  I bought a pair of madras shorts and a pair of nantucket pink shorts.  I was wearing them both rather happily until I saw a picture of myself in the madras.  It was like OMG WTF LOL, that's just wrong.  So now I'm even afraid of madras shorts.  Fortunately I do still like the pink ones.  
So what's the point, I'm sure your asking?  Well the point is that there are a lot of clothes that longwing likes but is just too chicken to wear, and vwguy's pants are at the top of that list. Maybe I should move to Virginia.

9 comments:

Patrick said...

I understand. I have two pairs of ersatz reds, one from Lands End and one from LL Bean. I wear them when putzing around in private.

Then I have a pair of lightweight trousers from the LE overstocks. "Marine Red" they said. Ha! More like "Fire Engine Red," or "Sweet Tap-Dancin' Jeezus What the Hell Are You Wearing? Red"

I will wear these when I am way out in the woods and there might be some trouble finding my corpse.

Patrick said...

Forgot to add, though, that the reds are one thing and the loud plaid pants I have are quite another. I have only worn these once, and that was for a photo essay in which I made up various cousins I didn't want to see at a wedding.

I can GTH it with a jacket, a shirt, a tie, but not pants.

Anonymous said...

GTH? Funny! We call them "drinkin' pants". Stear clear if you're doughy and bloated and sluglike--you'll always come off looking like an idiot.

casting no aspersions,

JES

Anonymous said...

pls, I like the plaid pant with blazer look, but again I need to upgrade the lifestyle a bit.

JES, after your picnic suggestions, doughy and bloated and sluglike would be the likely result. I hear there's good BBQ around your parts.

Anonymous said...

Not those parts.

3button Max said...

well done longwing..

Anonymous said...

3BM, Don't be a stranger.

Anonymous said...

pls, go to settings, comments, show comments in a popup window.

Russell, Power to the people. Blogs for all trads. Just say no to The Interchange.

Anonymous said...

J. Crew's kids' line (Crewcuts) has Nantucket Red shorts with little lobsters embroidered all over, and pants with sharks all over. Super cute!